Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Peer Interview w/ Steven

1.What were the main themes that you would want students to explore in Maggie?
1. I think the two main themes I would want students to explore are somebody or/vs nobody and sense of meaning. I feel that while the two are similar, they are different enough where if one was teaching it a compare and contrast paper could be done. Throughout the book Maggie considers her self a nobody and is striving to become a somebody. When she is taken to the play with Pete she wants to become the people she is surrounded by, but at the same time she is discussed by the way these "high class" people see "lower class" people. She then thinks about here sense  meaning and where she stand in the world. Meanwhile, she is also wondering if she really wants to be a somebody. 

2.What class activity helped you the most in understanding Maggie? 
2. The activity that helped me the most was comparing the book to the Emily Dickson poem. This was also the poem that I had to teach to the class. I feel like the activity opened up or showed me the theme of nobody vs somebody and how the characters in the novel view themselves as such. It made me go back and re-read some of the passages that I did not quite understand the first time around and helped me better understand certain themes in the novel. I then took those themes with me throughout the rest of the novel which help me better understand it as a whole. 

3. What is one activity you would do with film/pop culture in Maggie?/ How would you relate the characters to people today?
3.I could see myself using an old Frankenstein film because the book at least was published around the same time. I am not one-hundred percent sure on all the character, but I would have the students relate Maggie to the Monster himself. I would bring in the theme of nobody vs somebody and ask my students how the Monster and Maggie view themselves and how the students view them. Then I would most likely turn it into a compare and contrast paper. 



1 comment:

  1. Interesting--of course, Frankenstein was published in 1818.

    ReplyDelete